The legendary Guardians of Candracar are a quintet of female warriors chosen to protect Kandrakar, the very center of the universe itself. Each Guardian rules over one the basic natural elements of Water, Fire, Earth, and Air. The leader rules over Energy or Quintessence, the fifth element, as well as Keeper of the mystical Heart of Candracar, the bright pink-colored, orbicular crystal pendent that allows the Guardians to transform into their superhero alter egos by channeling the power of the Aurameres. The crystal amulet even magnifies their abilities to tremendous levels when transformed. If not, both of their unique elemental powers, and Guardian abilities, are greatly weakened and much less effective.
When the Guardians transform, their appearance is similar to that of fairies. However, except the Guardian of Air, they could not fly, despite having wings. In the TV series, all five guardians could fly, though the Guardian of Air would be the fastest flyer.
Before striking their ending poses during the transformations, all guardians call out the names of their elements, except Will, who says Keeper! and later The Heart! in the first season. But in the second season she yells Quintessence!.
Cornelia became a Quinto-Guardian after touching, and opsorbing the powers of the Altermere. The five elements combining in one person released Nerissa from her prison. Cornelia used her new powers to turn Caleb human again, after Phobos turned him into a flower. Luba, who had accidentally created the Altermere removes the power from her.
Nerissa becomes a Quninto-Guardian, after she gains the heart of Kandrakar, but loses this power after Will regains the heart.
Cornelia became a Quinto-Guardian which she was fueled by all five Aurameres the source of the Guardians' elemental powers over Water, Fire, Earth, Air, and Quintessence In N is for Narcissist, Nerissa tried to absorb the power of the Auremeres
Nerissa later gains control and manipulation over all five elements, when she absorbs her former friends into her Seal thus becoming a Quinto-Guardian herself.
Second generation of Guardians of the Veil
"Will, Irma, Taranee, Cornelia, Hay Lin...you have been chosen as the new Guardians of the Veil."
- Will Vandom: The second Guardian of Energy (Quintessence in the TV series) and new Keeper of the Heart of Kandrakar.
- Irma Lair: The second Guardian of Water.
- Taranee Cook: The second Guardian of Fire.
- Cornelia Hale: The second Guardian of Earth.
- Hay Lin: The second Guardian of Air. She is the only one who inherited her duty as a legendary Guardian of the Veil from her paternal grandmother.
Original Guardians of the Veil
"As you know, you were not the first Guardians. Decades ago there were five others- Cassidy, Halinor, Yan Lin, Kadma and Nerissa."
- Main article: C.H.Y.K.N.
- Cassidy: The original Guardian of Water. She was also briefly the Keeper of the Heart until she was murdered by the power-mad and vengeful Nerissa.
- Halinor: The original Guardian of Fire.
- Yan Lin: The original Guardian of Air. She is the only one who married, had a child and became a paternal grandmother to the next Guardian of Air.
- Kadma: The original Guardian of Earth.
- Nerissa: The original Guardian of Energy (Quintessence) and the original Keeper of the Heart of Candracar, whose vast power had gradually corrupted her to the point of madness.
- No male guardians have appeared in the comics, nor the animated series, but, it may be possible that there have been male guardians of Kandrakar. In the comics, it is shown that there were teams of Male guardians in the past, during the Core of Kandrakar special.
- As the Heart of Earth, Lillian may be the next guardian of earth when new guardians are in need.
- If there have been male guardians, Chris, Irma's brother, could be one of the next guardians as the guardian of water.
|Guardians of Kandrakar|
|Quintessence · Water · Fire · Earth · Air|
|Heart of Kandrakar · Aurameres|
|Xin Jing · Four Dragons · Nymphs · The Oracle|